Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Portobello Road, Portobello Road...

I went to Portobello Market on Saturday!

(The Portobello Market of 'Bedknobs and Broomsticks!! 'Portobello road, Portobello road...Street where the riches of ages are stowed...Anything and everything a chap can unload..Is sold off the barrow in Portobello Road!')

Unfortunately there weren't any dancing sailors like in the movie, but there were lots of buskers! It was indie. Very indie. Sahh indie. Rose and I walked past these two buskers standing there with their instruments, and came to the conclusion that they were actually too indie to play them.

It's in Notting Hill, the Notting Hill of the movie that I have seen so many times I could recite it by heart. We made our way to the market, dodging hordes of drunk kiwis (it was Waitangi Day, and they were out in full force. 'Happy Waitangi Day bro!'). The houses as we found our way to the market, and as we walked down, were absolutely gorgeous. Beautiful London terraces painted in different colours, nestled among little antique and clothing stores. When I marry a rich London footballer, I'm living there.

We (myself, Rose, Izzy and Aisling until she went to meet her cousins) took our time walking down the market. The vintage part was my favourite by far. There were some lovely old bags that I wanted, until we asked how much they were and some snooty lady took one look at us and sneered '£120'. Bitch. I may be wearing Primark tights, but for all you know I could be very very wealthy.

I ended up buying a pair of gorgeous white and black shoes for £5, and a really cute little beanie/hat thing for £8. On the way back we went into American Apparel and Jack Wills, just to pretend that we could actually afford the clothes in there. Oh no, wait, I lied, I can afford the socks in Jack Wills. £6.50 for one pair. And that is all. Just before I leave I swear I am going to go on a huge spree and spend all my leftover money on clothes!

We came home and practiced our act for the 'G-Factor', which sounds slightly dirty but is Godstowe's version of the 'X-Factor' (which is HUGE over here, it's insane!). It was to 'Keep on Movin'' by Five - from my Year 10 dance assessment with Andy, Jess, Daisy and Kat hahaha. We combined that song with Dryads year 12 lipsynching moves, and if I do say so myself, brought the house down the next day!

So needless to say, Sunday was full of practice for the G-Factor. After I went down to church in the morning (which was lovely, everyone was so nice and the church itself is absolutely beautiful!), we went to the Recital Hall and watched the girls perform. There were some fantastic acts, and also some dodgy ones...they tried really hard though! Some of the girls here are so talented, I'm so jealous. There was one act which had a lot of 'shopping at Primark and Boots' jokes, which was quite embarrassing...all the girls laughed while the gaps sat there laughing outwardly, but inwardly thinking 'What's wrong with buying a top for £3?'. These girls are so loaded, I get depressed doing dorm inspections and sorting through their Abercrombie & Fitch gilets and Chanel ugg boots (I am not kidding. T has Chanel ugg boots. They exist...)

The past few days have been quite busy, Izzy has been sick so we've been covering classes and duties. Highlights of today include gossiping with the IV's and calling it 'work', and getting a new photocopier (yes, I get excited about things like that now...it has a colour screen and staples things for you!!). I've done some swimming with Lodge kids, which I enjoyed and hated in equal measures. Enjoyed because I sympathised with those poor kids who hated the water. I don't think I put my head under water unitl I was about 7. I walked alongside them in the pool telling them to kick and blow bubbles, and giving lots and lots of encouragement, because I know how it feels to dread swimming lessons...I literally had a knot in my stomach when I walked into the pool, and I wasn't the one swimming! Hated it because I had to bring out my white pasty winter legs and wear a swimming cap. Blurgh.

Right now I'm having a tea break until I have tutoring with I. at 4.30. So tired, I think a Disney movie is a must tonight. What an exciting life I lead. I'm feeling much better today, there's been a shocker of a cold going around and it's finally leaving me alone. Poor Janet has got it now though, and I'm the only one left out of the gaps who hasn't caught the stomach bug...fingers crossed!!

Getting your letters is lovely (I'm so sorry Kathleen, I swear I'll reply to yours sooon!), time is flying, and I'm getting very good at booking travel things.

We go to Berlin very very soon! :)

3 comments:

  1. Goodnight Georgie. I can just imagine your act. Was there a calisthenics lift thrown in at the last minute, or wait, that only happen in chorals doesn't it? I've been sick too. I had to ask Grandma to make me chicken soup because Dad sort of DIDN'T! Hope your OK. You didn't see a really naked skinny ugly welshman in Notting Hill did you? Hope not. love you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA your comment about the welshman made me laugh out loud in the staffroom, quite a few teachers turned around... Sorry I hadn't finished that post when you commented, it posted sneakily! love you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad here. I did make her chicken soup today as she's still sick. IT was great to chat on Saturday night. Keep your chin up and lets hope the Aussie beat the Poms in the cricket.
    Lots of love Dad :) *)

    ReplyDelete