Monday, March 7, 2011

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Today is my one year diabetes anniversary.
This time last year I was in a hospital room, with drips coming out of both arms and wondering what the hell was happening to me. Now it's a year since then, and I can't believe 365 days has gone that fast. 7 March 2010 was the day that changed my life forever.

I hated it, and I still hate it.
I hate that after my diagnosis, I cried myself to sleep for months.
I hate that I spent the first few months of my year 12 in hospitals, waiting rooms and doctors’ offices instead of bars and clubs. Turning 18 is not as fun when you’re spending your Friday night with your endocrinologist.
I HATE that my ATAR was lower than it could have been, because I spent my year trying to stay on top of study and a chronic illness. Try battling high blood sugars and a pile of international politics reading at the same time – it’s the furthest thing from easy.
I hate that everything I do – dancing, sport, even an extended walk to the shops - has to be calculated down to the degree, because the tiniest margin of error can result in my entire body flipping out.
I hate that before I go to bed, I have to check my blood glucose level just to make sure that I don't hypo and die during the night. Seriously? Should I really have to do that when I'm 18? That should be reserved for when you're 70 and about to kick the bucket. (Just a side note, it's very weird to literally have your life in your hands. I don't take my insulin, I die next week. I inject too much long and short acting insulin before bed, I die during my sleep. That's way too close for comfort)

I hate that I constantly have to deal with people asking 'Can you eat that?' I don't know, can I punch you in the face? You wouldn't go up to a fat person and tell them that eating that second helping of cake will kill them, why do people think it's ok to tell me? I know what I’m putting into my body, its no-one’s business but my own.
I hate that travelling during my gap year brings me a whole lot more complications than everyone else I’m with. Getting through customs with 3 months supplies of needles, then trying to keep your insulin at the right temperature when you're tramping through some European forest is not fun. The worst part is when I’m making new friends in a bar somewhere, and everyone is sitting down to eat some £2 pizza, but then I have to slink off to the toilet and inject like some druggie because I don't know them well enough to whip my needle out.
I hate sticking a needle into myself every time I eat, and pricking my finger 6 times a day.
I have pricked my finger around 2190 times and injected myself 1825 times since this time last year. My stomach and fingertips are like a permanent pin cushion, I have never had so many bruises at one time. (My pet hate is now people complaining about injections. Don't do it around me, there is a high chance I will take my own personal needle out and stab you with it.)
I hate hypos. Hypos suck. They always happen during an exam, an important talk with someone, or somewhere really inconvenient like the middle of assembly or meeting new people. Maintaining a conversation when you can't feel your hands and feet, and you're seeing triple, while your heart beats a million times a second and your skin goes clammy is not the best way to make the greatest first impression. I hate that this is chronic, and will never go away.
I hate that it never takes a break. I have to worry about my health 24/7. If I take a break, I get very sick. I can't forget about my diabetes, it's constantly there, and at times that is so hard that I want to pack it all in.
Most of all, I hate that diabetes makes me ask for help. I have to be reliant on other people when I can't take care of myself anymore. I'm supposed to take care of others, not the other way around! Having a hypo on the floor while a friend runs for my jellybeans makes me feel so tiny and useless, I can't stand it.

However, I've also learnt a lot this past year, and in some ways diabetes has been a gift.
I have realised how lucky I am to be healthy (well, relatively speaking!). Sure, I may get complications in the future, but at the moment I am your typical 19 year old. I work, travel, drink cheap beer and sleep in until 2 on a Sunday afternoon. I'm not constantly stuck in a hospital, and I don't have a terminal disease. Sure, it's lifelong, but I can live with it.
I have discovered what amazing, incredible people I have in my life. My family found that handling me going through year 12 and diabetes was difficult, to say the least (understatement of the year!). Dealing with my massive hypos, bitchy-blood-sugar-is-28 Georgie, regular breakdowns and listening to me sobbing on the floor when I ‘just couldn’t do it any more’...there are no words to describe how much I owe them. Without my family, I don't know where I'd be. My aunts, uncles, grandparents – I am the luckiest person in the world to have a family like mine, and it has taken diabetes to show me that.

I don't know what I would have done without the support of my friends this year. When they looked at me injecting for the first time, and didn't look away in disgust but gave me a hug and said how brave and 'bad-ass' I was to do that, it meant the world to me. Even the jokes we made about my diabetes helped! I was the resident ‘insulin junkie’ and the willing scapegoat whenever we went out. What do we do to excuse our inability to ever be on time? 'Sorry we're late, Georgie's had a hypo again, we had to stop off at 7/11.' (Lies, we're just constantly late and constantly hungry.). The amount they cared was incredible, asking what to do when I went hypo, and doing it every time, no questions asked, was so much help to me. They even offered – no, insisted – on learning how to inject me with glucagen if I fell unconscious! Calling my hypo fixes 'special Georgie food', checking if I was low whenever I was quiet, sad or just not looking quite right...taking on my issues when they all had their own as well?! Amazing. Diabetes made me realise how incredibly lucky I am to have friends like I have. They accepted it as a part of me, and made my year a whole lot easier.

Diabetes made me grow up. I took on stuff I shouldn't have to, but at the same time I've come to a realisation that I am blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life, so many incredible experiences, and that I am a lot tougher than I think. As one of my very best friends told me in the weeks following my diagnosis, ‘what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger’. Happy diabetes-versary to me.

24 comments:

  1. I'm crying at my desk you cow. I am so proud of you and love you sooo much,happy diabetes-versary to you.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another happy diabets-versary to you. You also have to think how lucky all the people who know you are also George. In your own way you have created history and changed the course of the world. Without you entering the world back in 1992 we would only have 2 children. We wouldn't have met all those fantastic friends we made when you were at kinda, school, netball, concerts, etc. Neriads would not have had a leadr at school and they wouldn't have won the house cup. Life does change constantly. Chin up and keep smiling and we will all smile with you. Lots of Love Dad xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Georgie this piece was beautiful - sad and funny, determined and well written. Like a rollercoaster of emotion and reason and above all a fighting spirit. Nearly made me cry and I don't even know you! Keep up the writing - it's better than therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proud Aunty moment of the year George. Standing ovation to you my dear and a big hug aswell. Happy diabetes-versary indeed. Now, where are the tissues?......Krissy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. this was a very moving blog georgie! love you missy ..
    xx steph hag

    ReplyDelete
  6. G,

    Type 1, another timezone, another culture, another world........but simply, another day. Keep the chin up on the bad days and keep the 'rest of the gang' up with you on the good ones.

    Only the good die young, so you've got plenty of pricks, sticks and "Oh Shits!!" to go my dear. Live them up and enjoy every last one of them, because every one more of 'them' means you're living the dream!!

    Chat again soon.

    In my best Charlie Sheen accent *WINNING*

    B O'L

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Georgie

    You made me cry and then smile. It has aken days fro me to reply as I was really worried and proud of you. You are so strong and we will be there every step of the way if you need us. We love you and miss you!! We are very proud of what you have achieved and will continue to achieve in your life ahead of you. Life throws you curve balls but I can certainly say you are throwing them right back!! You go girl!! and stay happy - we are thinking of you
    Love Caitlin Brendan Megan Hoppy Bomber and Willow !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. well darling, I've ruined my keyboard with tears my nose is dripping,and it's not cos I'm 75, but may I say again you're a terrific human being and a fantastic writer.you are achieving sooo much more than most.I'll dry my eyes,you dry yours and thank God for friends and jelly babies Da & K xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're an inspiration, and we would all take care of you and your special Georgie food and use you as an excuse to get out of class all over again!

    We struggled with year 12 alone and you had ten times as much on your plate, you're an amazing person.

    Happy diabete-versary :)
    I miss you!!

    Lots of love,
    Daisy xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, beautifully written. I've had type 1 for 20 years and you've captured the essence of the experience really well. I especially like your "I don't know, can I punch you in the face?" comment :-)
    And you're right, the challenges of this condition really can bring out the best in us and make us appreciate how special and precious life is. And how lucky we are.
    Thanks for sharing Sista ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post - thank you for sharing it with us. My 10 year old was diagnosed with Type 1 11 months ago - I hope he's as amazing as you are when he's your age!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The diabetes-versary is an awesome party day. My decade celebration was awesome, planning a sweet-sixteen one now :p

    I don't know what kind of person I'd be without this disease... it sucks at times, but I'm certain it has actually benefited me in the long run :/ as weird as it sounds

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi georgie. I was so glad I read this - my son is now 17 and was diagnosed when he was 4. he doesnt recall not having injections and sees it as pretty normal and whips the pen out anywhere. Hearing your story brings me to tears that I thought had left me and also reminds me how many changes have occurred Type 1 management in 13 years (believe it or not it far more difficult only those few years ago). I notice one thing that hasnt changed everyone else has to stick their nose into your affairs regarding food choice and consumption! Why do they assume they know best anyway.
    Keep your positive attitude and live life to the fullest. Thanks for your frankness and your implicit understanding of you one year old 'friend'!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Georgie, Great blog post! I am afraid I did not have to go through what you did. I was diagnosed at 2 years of age and have been living with it for 40 years now. I don't know a different life....I've always lived with Diabetes. Having Diabetes is normal for me, although I still get the "Should you be eating that? What's that you are doing? (referring to my pump)" Thankyou for your insight into someones life that had to change completely! Keep your chin up and I wish you a long life ahead of you without complications.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am very moved by your blog. I can relate 100% with everything you said. I am glad you found a positive path to deal with Type1. It takes a lot of hard work and trial and error to learn roughly how to deal with it.

    I am 20 years old. I have had Type 1 Diabetes since I was 13 and since then it changed my life forever and for the better. I would not be where I am if I had not go Type1. I would not be anywhere near so determinded and positive and successful without it.

    I recently did a speach infront of 25 others about my Type1 Story. I will include the link to it below for you =)


    www.alexsalterspeech.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I myself have had Type 1 for 16 years & now my 13 year old daughter was diagnosed 6 months ago. She is finding it very hard at the moment and this post Georgie is wonderful to say the least. I have printed if off to leave in her room and when she gets home from school I will be telling her there is a very important letter I would like you to read. All the best ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Georgie, this is brilliant. I was also diagnosed at 18 and just celebrated my 2 year diabetes-versary and can relate to EVERYTHING you wrote about. Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Georgie. I am coming up to my third anniversary April 26. After a year I was sick and tired of the inconvenience of needles and the bruises. I have just celebrated my second anniversary on a pump, no more bruises, no more injections. What a change! Discovered frio pouches available from diabetes Vic/Aust keeps insulin perfect without refrigeration just wet the pack every few days. Travelled in Bali, rode 50 kilometres bike ride, swam 200 laps, walked, ate yummy desserts or deserts I never know which, walked and walked and shopped and shopped. Explore the options of a pump it gave me more freedom, and less hypos. Animas is waterproof. Type 1 sucks but the pump along with a caring loving network makes the good days out way the bad days. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Georgie,

    My almost-15 daughter has had Type 1 for five years and it's not easy. Thank you for sharing your diabetes-versary with us. I wish you every success and I will show her your blog after I dry my eyes.

    A

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Georgie,

    Congrats on making your first anniversary, sounds like you had a tough journey! This post hit home with me, I cried so much as well when I was diagnosed (after school luckily, I was 18 and a half in my first year of uni). It only made me stronger though and 3 years later I am a lot more outgoing with my diabetes. I take my insulin in public whenever I need to, and if people ask what I am doing, I just answer drugs, do you want some? This gets them to back off :) I loved your bit about "can you eat that" "can I punch you in the face?" as I always think the same thing! also, it was nice that you finished on a happy note, type 1 isn't the end of the world. I actually use my insulin as an advantage after a work-out (to stop protein catabolism) but as a girl you probably aren't looking to put on muscle haha. Anyway, wonderful story, it just made my day reading it :) take care!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okay now I've stopped crying as well. You are an extraordinary person, but have also taught us all so much - what an education we've also had. Keep doing what you've doing, traveling, teaching, enjoying life and just being you. Aunty Anna

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just found your post through JDRF where they have reposted it, but thought I would share my comment here too.

    Your blog post made me laugh and feel for you too, I can relate to everything you have written Georgie. I was diagnosed at the age of 21 (I am now almost 27) and it was a massive lifestyle change for me too, I can only imagine how bad it would be to get diagnosed in your final year at high school! Diabetes can be both a blessing and a curse, but hopefully over time you can continue to see the good side in it more than the bad.

    I hated all of the food nazi comments ("Can you eat that?" "Should you be eating that?" "That has too much sugar for you doesn't it?") so much that I started a food blog called Should You Eat That - just to show people that I can eat pretty much anything they do. I will warn you that you will constantly come across people who make these comments, although you come up with wittier answers for their ridiculous and intrusive comments they will probably always make you a little angry. As you said, what you eat is no ones business but your own, but for some reason when you have diabetes people like to pitch in their uneducated and unhelpful two cents worth. I am yet to understand why they feel the need to do so.

    Another favourite comment I get from people all the time is "How can you inject yourself?", my answer is always "It is better than the alternative!" (ie - dying!!). I think most people would give themselves injections if they really had to, we don't get diabetes because we like injections or are braver than most, but having diabetes makes us braver, stronger people. Keep holding on to the positives and you will go far in life and live happy, healthy and long. Good luck with everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow Georgie! Just read this to our ten year old, Josie! She has had diabetes since she was 5 and right now it sux!! Love it how you want to punch someone in the face for their comments about food and YES why do big fatties get to line up at KFC without anyone asking them 'should they eat that'! AND yes even we do the old, "sorry we're late, Josie just had a massive hypo!" Naughty! We wish you all the best and lots of happiness. Diabetes does suck BUT everyone we have met with Type 1 seem to have some special qualities and you fit the mould too! Lisa and Josie

    ReplyDelete